Ella was bitten by a rattlesnake this week. She has been through the rattlesnake avoidance training before but since the trainer died last year we didn't do a refresher. I have seen my other dogs who have also gone through the RA training steer WAY clear of rattlesnakes….. so not really sure what happened.
I went outside and saw that Ella's lip was drooping and she was swollen around her throat. We brought her in and found one small pin prick on her lip. We gave her a benedryl and put her in a crate then went out to check the yards.
Sure enough there was a 2 1/2 foot rattlesnake. Daneen shot it and ran Ella to the vet. I had to chop it's head off and throw it away 🙁
Ella was put on IV's and antibiotics. They have the anti venom there at the vets but it was felt that she did not need it. Many adult rattlesnake regulate and conserve their venom for prey. They need the venom to kill their food so some bites are dry bites. Not sure how much venom Ella actually got.
I had never done research on the use of anti venom and just pretty much assumed that ANY rattlesnake bite required it. That is not the case. There are many factors that go into the decision of using the anti venom or not.
We are very happy to report that Ella came home the next day and her swelling is almost all gone. She is acting like her normal self.
I am very grateful!!!!!