I bred Giddeon to Crash and knew that it took because by the 4th week Giddeon looked big.
This was not an easy pregnancy. On day 56 Giddeon had discharge. We put her on "bedrest" to give the puppies more time to cook. Once we were on day 61 and her progesterone was at 1 I had a tough call to make. Do I give her more time to see if she can have the pups naturally or take her in for a c- section? To make things worse it was Sat. morning and I didn't want to be stuck in the middle of the night or on a Sunday when my vet was closed. Giddeon was resting comfortably and showing no signs of hard labor.
I opted for the c-section. And it was the right choice.
The first pup out was HUGE!!! It was the little bugger that was causing the problem of the discharge. It was the size of a 1 week old Lab puppy! It had been dead for awhile and it was blocking everybody's escape route. It's two neighbors also didn't make it. It was very sad.
After those three pups it was a frenzy of my vet taking the other healthy pups out and handing them to me and the techs. It was a whirlwind of opening sacs, rubbing, suctioning goo from mouths and noses and more rubbing. After each pup was cleaned, cleared of liquid and crying them were wisked to the inccubator. I didn't get to count or see what sexes we had. I thought there were 5 so I called Diana and told her. I can't tell yet who is rough or smooth…. It's been a long week 🙂
The calm before the storm.
Here are the pups getting their first meal.
Sable merle male
Sable merle female
Sable merle male
Julie math 🙂 Turns out there are 6!!!
Giddeon and the pups are now settled in at home and all are doing well.